linksys smart wifi : How I can access my Linksys router?
Linksys is a brand that is known for manufacturing an ample range of high-speed routers suitable for every home network needs. They are also best known for their smooth functioning and secure network. Wireless network settings are considered as the best feature in Linksys routers.
You can access Linksys router through www.linksyssmartwifi.com or via IP address 192.168.1.1.
How I can access my Linksys router?
You can get access to your Linksys router using www.linksyssmartwifi.com or via IP address 192.168.1.1. You can follow the below mentioned steps to log in into your Linksys router:
- Launch a web browser from a computer or device that is connected to your router’s network.
- Type linksyssmartwifi.com and 192.168.1.1 in the web address.
- Hit enter.
- It will open up a login authentication page.
- Enter credentials.
- The default credentials for both username and password is admin.
- Press enter.
- Once you have successfully logged in, you will be directed to a Basic Home Page.
How I can change the router’s name and password?
For security purpose, it is always recommended to update the router’s admin password. To update the password for the router’s admin, you can use the following steps:
- Open a web browser from a computer or device that is connected to your router’s network.
- Type linksyssmartwifi.com or 192.168.1.1 in the address bar.
- It will open up a login authentication page.
- Enter the default password that is “admin”.
- You can leave the username field empty.
- Once you are successfully logged in, it will direct you to the home page.
- Check the administration page.
- Go to the management section; enter the new password in the Router password or Re-enter to confirm the fields.
- Click on the save settings.
How I create a Linksys cloud account?
When you create a Linksys cloud account, it is always recommended that you should connect to your Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Router’s wireless network in order to connect your new account with your Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Router.
To create a Linksys cloud account, you can follow the below mentioned steps:
- Launch a web browser and enter linksyssmartwifi.com in the address bar.
- Hit enter.
- Click the Click Here
- It will direct you to create an account, enter the necessary information in the field provided.
- Click End User License Agreement, Terms of Service, and Privacy Statement then click Create My Account.
- Now you will receive an email that will ask you to create an account.
- Open the message from Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Mailer.
- Open the mail from your email that you have received from Linksys cloud account you have just created.
- This will take you to the new window that will take you to the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi page.
- Once your account is validated, you will see the Account is now validated the
- Click here to Log in.
- Enter the mail and password you just create.
- Click sign in.
- Now, associate your router by entering your router's administrative password in the space provided.
- Click Ok.
How I can reset my Linksys smart wifi router?
You can reset your router to go back to factory settings of your Linksys router, if you forgot the password of your Linksys router.
To perform factory settings, you can follow the below mentioned steps:
- To reset your Linksys router, you need to press the reset button for 30 seconds.
- Once you press the router’s reset button, unplug and re-plug the router’s power adapter.
- To restore the default settings of your Linksys router.
- Log in to the admin page using linksyssmartwifi.com or 192.168.1.1.
- Once you get access to the login authentication page, enter default credentials.
- On the home page, go to the administration
- Under the administration tab, select Factory Defaults sub-tab.
- Under Factory Defaults sub-tab, select Restore Factory Defaults
How I can upgrade my Linksys smart wifi router’s firmware?
The firmware must be updated constantly to keep the router secure. A Firmware update ensure that the router stays compatible with the latest media devices so that the user doesn’t have to go around buying new routers every time they wish to buy a new media device.
You can follow the below mentioned steps to upgrade Linksys router’s firmware manually:
Checking the model and version of the router
You can locate the model number and version of the router from the back label of the router. Locating the exact version will help you to download the right firmware for your router.
Download the firmware
Go to the official website of Linksys and download the firmware according to the model number of the router and save it.
Steps to perform the upgrade
- Open a web browser from a device that is connected to the router’s network.
- Type linksyssmartwifi.com or 192.168.1.1in the address bar.
- Enter the default credentials, the default password is admin.
- If you have updated your password, use the updated credentials.
- Click on Administration>Firmware upgrade.
- Click on the browse button.
- Locate the file that you have downloaded and open it.
- Click the start upgrade button.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the upgrade.
- Turn off the router.
- Turn it on again.
How I can set up my Linksys smart wifi router using smart wizard set up?
To set up your Linksys router using, you can follow the below-mentioned steps:
- If your router has an external antenna, connect your antennas to the router first and then plug in the router to the power source.
- If your router has a power switch then switch on the power button and wait until the LED lights are solid.
- Connect your Ethernet cable from your modem to the router.
- Connect to the wireless network. You can find the credentials on the bottom of the router. To make sure that you don’t have to face any problem or have a good signal from the router or bring the wireless computer closer to the router’s room.
- Open your web browser and type linksyssmartwifi.com in the address bar.
Note: if you are not able to access the router using www.linksyssmartwifi.com then you can try accessing the web page using 192.168.1.1 or myrouter.local in the address bar.
- There will be a checkbox I have read and accepted the License Terms for using this software, tick the box.
- Click next to proceed.
- If you want to set up your router manually and want to skip the smart wizard set up then click on the manual configuration link at the bottom.
- The Install future router updates automatically (recommended)is checked by default to allow automatic updates, under the update your router window update.
- Click next to proceed further.
- Enter network name and password in the fields provided, click next.
- If you are using a wireless network, you will receive a message to reconnect to your network.
- Connect your wireless computer to the new wireless settings you used during the step in order to continue the setup.
- The wireless password is always case-sensitive
- Enter router password in the Create a router password field then click next.
- If you see message router is set up, this means your router is now successfully setup.
- The new Wi-Fi settings and the router admin password will be displayed.
- Click next to complete the entire set up.
- You will be directed to theCreate Your Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Account page for Remote Access.
How I can speed up my Linksys router?
- Moving your router to a different spot and upgrading router’s firmware can speed up your Linksys router.
- Single-directional antennas and wireless repeater can also repeater the router’s performance.
You can follow the below-mentioned solutions to speed up your Linksys router:
- Open a web browser and go to Linksys official website and upgrade router’s firmware to improve the speed of your Linksys router.
- Try using different channels: Visit the Linksys admin page by entering 192.168.1.1 in the address bar and try using different channels to reduce interference.
- Check all the devices connected to your Linksys router. Check the router’s status page to see the devices.
- Keep your router’s password secure and change the default password.
How I can update the router’s network name and password using Linksys connect?
Once you successfully install the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi router and Linksys connect software, a unique network name and password will be generated with this. It is always recommended to update the password that is easy to remember. You can follow the below-mentioned steps to update the network name and password:
Step 1: Open Linksys connect.
Step 2: On the Linksys connect window, select router settings and then click change.
Step 3: Go to the Personalize section, click change to modify the router’s name and password.
Step 4: A pop-up window will appear to confirm that you are changing username and password of Linksys router.
Step 5: Once you will click on yes, it will re-direct you to a new window.
Step 6: Enter name and password that you want to keep for your router.
Step 7: Once you are done, click change.
Step 8: Linksys connect will automatically update the settings when you check the router setting details. Click finish to return on the main screen.
How I can set up my Linksys router manually?
You can set up Linksys router using Linksys Connect Setup Software from the Linksys Support Site. For this, you need to support your computer first to network with an active Internet connection or directly to the modem.
You can follow the below mentioned steps to set up your Linksys router:
- Go to https://www.linksys.com/us/support/ .
- Enter the model number in the search bar.
- Click on the DOWNLOADS / FIRMWARE
- Select the hardware version.
- Locate the location and click download.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the download.
- Select “I AGREE”, when End User License Agreement prompt appears.
- Save the setup software.
- Select a location on the computer to save the file.
- It is recommended to save the file on the computer’s desktop.
- Click the file that you have downloaded.
- Click the license term link to read the license terms and information.
- Check the box once done.
- Click next.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
- The setup process will automatically generate a unique router’s SSID and password for your network.
- Click next once done.
- The set up will automatically identify your connection type, if it is detected that you are using a DSL connection a pop-up window will appear and ask you to enter the user account.
- After entering the information, click next.
- This set up will finalize an internet connection.
- You will see a confirmation window showing that you are now connected to the internet.
What can be a possible solution if I am not able to access my login page?
There can be may reason that why you are not able to access login page using linksmartwifi.com.
Reasons why you are not able to access login page using linksmartwifi.com:
- Check all the physical connection, there can be an improper cable connection.
- It can be because of an invalid IP address.
- It can be because of the wrong username and password.
- It can be because of the defective router.
- The router firmware needs to be updated.
- It can be because of firmware, your computer firmware might be blocking all the connections.
- It can be because of network connection, there can be no internet connection between the routers.
Solutions to fix this issue:
You can follow the below-mentioned troubleshoot steps to fix these issues:
For wired connection
- You must have two Ethernet cables.
- One must be connected to from the modem to the router’s internet port.
- The second cable should be from computer to any of the Ethernet ports at the back of your router.
For wireless connection
- Make sure that the router and modem are connected properly and your computer is connected to the wireless network.
Checking the router’s LED
- Check the lights of the router, after connecting the devices. Make sure that lights corresponding to the Ethernet port and internet LEDs where computer are connected are lit.
Checking the router’s IP address
You must have an IP address to connect your computer and router.
Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Router setup
Using the Smart Setup Wizard:
It is easy to set up your Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Router by using the Smart Setup Wizard. The Setup Wizard is embedded in the firmware itself and is available even when the router does not have an Internet connection or is in its default settings.
The smart setup does not need a setup CD or any additional software to set up your Linksys smart wifi router. You can directly access the router’s web-based setup page while the setup process.
The Smart Setup Wizard is supported by all the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Routers. Steps to follow Smart setup are explained below:
Requirements before setting up your Linksys smart wifi router
Browser requirements for the Linksys router setup and Linksys Smart Wi-Fi access:
- Microsoft Edge
- Internet Explorer 8 or higher
- Chrome and Firefox- latest version
- Latest Adobe Flash Player
- Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Router
- Ethernet cables
- A wireless computing device or a computer with an Ethernet port
- An active Internet connection
Steps for Smart Setup Wizard:
- Connect your router with external antennas thereby connecting the antennas first to the router.
- Plug in your Linksys router to a power source and switch it on.
- Let the power LED to light solid.
- Connect your modem to your router by connecting Ethernet cable from your modem to the Internet port of the Linksys smart wifi router.
- Connect to a secured wireless network. By entering the wireless credentials located at the bottom of the router.
Note: ensure that you have a good signal from the router to avoid any problems or you can even place your wireless computer closer to the router for good signal strength.
- From your web browser, enter http://linksyssmartwifi.com in the Address bar.
QUICK TIP: in case you are not able to launch the Smart Setup, you can try to enter the default IP Address of the router i.e. 168.1.1 or through myrouter.local.
- Accept the terms and conditions and press continue.
NOTE: in case you want to set up your Linksys smart wifi router manually skip the Smart Setup Wizard and click on the Manual Configuration link instead at the bottom.
Some of the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Routers display a checkbox saying “I want to skip Setup and configure my router manually”. Select this option for manual set up and click next.
- Enter your router’s Network Name and Network Passwordin the required fields and then click Next to continue.
- Enter your Linksys router’s password in the Create a router password field and then click Next.
- Finally, you will see a successful router set up message which means your set up is complete now. You will also see that the new Wi-Fi settings and the router admin password will be displayed as well.
- Make sure that you write down the new settings in the provided field on the Quick Start Guide for further or future reference. Click Next to proceed to the completion of the entire setup.
You are then redirected to the Create Your Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Account page for Remote Access.
Finally, you have successfully set up your Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Router using the Smart Setup Wizard.
Linksys smart wifi firmware update:
Firmware updates help to fix bugs and they enhance the functioning of the router. An updated firmware may contain new feature enhancements which may not be available in the previous versions.
Using the Check for Updates button
- Log in to your Linksys smart wifi cloud account by entering your login credentials.
- On the Linksys smart wifi web interface, click on Connectivity.
- Go to the Firmware Updatesection and under that click on Check for Updates. You will see the router detects a firmware update which you can download and install on your device.
- Click on the Click herelink to upgrade.
NOTE: if you there is No updates found message, it means that your router already has the latest version of the firmware.
- Go to the Update firmwarepop-up box and click Yes following which, your router will automatically start updating the firmware.
NOTE: it is recommended to not to power OFF the router or close the browser window during the update process to avoid corruption of the firmware of your router.
- You will be asked to reboot your router. Click Okto continue.
- Wait for the router to reboot which takes about a few minutes.
Your Linksys smart wifi router’s firmware has been successfully updated and you need to click Ok on the Firmware update complete screen to complete it.
Using the manual Update:
You manually update your Linksys router firmware by downloading the latest firmware of your Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Router and saving it in your computer. You then have to unzip the file before you proceed with the upgrade process.
- Access your Linksys smart wifi cloud account by Logging in to your Linksys smart wifi cloud account by entering your login credentials
- Click Connectivity.
- Go to the Firmware Update section and under that click on Check for Updates. You will see the router detects a firmware update which you can download and install on your device.
- Click on the Click here link to upgrade.
- NOTE: if you there is No updates found message, it means that your router already has the latest version of the firmware.
- Go to the Update firmware pop-up box and click Yes following which, your router will automatically start updating the firmware.
- NOTE: it is recommended to not to power OFF the router or close the browser window during the update process to avoid corruption of the firmware of your router.
- You will be asked to reboot your router. Click Ok to continue.
- Wait for the router to reboot which takes about a few minutes.
How to reset a Linksys smart wifi router?
Using the Reset Button
- To start with reset, power off your computer and then unplug your Linksys smart wifi router.
- Wait for about 60 seconds and plug your router back.
- Try to locate the reset button on the back of your Linksys router.
- Now press the reset button using a straightened paper clip.
- Press and hold the "Reset" button for a while and you will see the Power light blinking while you're holding the reset button.
Note: it takes only ten minutes for rest in new models whereas in the older models, reset button should be held for about 30 seconds.
- Wait for the Power light to turn solid and stop blinking.
The reset is completed finally. You can power on your computer now and test for an internet connection. Restart your computer if you are unable to connect to your internet connection.
Using the Web-Based Setup Page
- Go to http://192.168.1.1 or linksyssmartwifi.com through a Web browser.
- In the Linksys smart Wi-Fi web interface, enter your login details in the username and password labeled fields. Be default Linksys username should be left blank and password should be admin.
- Click on Log In and then click on the Administration located at the top of the window tab.
- Go to Factory Defaults and Click on Restore Factory Defaults located in the center of the window.
- Let the Power light to stop blinking.
- The reset is completed successfully as soon as the Power light turns solid.
If you unable to access Linksys router's web-based setup…
The easiest and quick way to resolve any issues in regard to the Linksys router is to power cycle the device. For power cycle, you must power off your Linksys smart wifi router, unplug the power cord from it and wait for about 10 seconds and plug it back in.
Linksys routers have inbuilt web-based setup utilities which allow you to customize your network settings and its advanced properties. This user interface can be used to check, configure and modify wired and wireless settings on the router.
Possible reasons for not being able to access the router’s web-based setup page can be:
- cable connections may not be proper
- The router is unable to provide a valid IP address
- You have entered Incorrect router IP address in the Address bar
- Username and Password must have been entered incorrectly
- Browser issues
- The router may be defective
To ensure proper setup and configuration of your router, you can try the following steps:
Ensure the proper connections of your devices
In wired connections, 2 Ethernet cables must be used, the one Ethernet cable must be connecting the modem to the router at Internet port of the router and the second Ethernet cable should connect a computer to any Ethernet ports on the back of the router. Also, ensure proper wireless connections of the cables for the modem and router and that your computer is successfully connected to your wireless network.
Checking the LEDs of your router: Ensure that the Internet LED and the light corresponding to the Ethernet port where the computer is connected are lit.
Check the IP address of your router: Your computer must receive an IP address from the router to ensure that they are communicating with each other.
Ensure to Access the router's web-based setup page using the correct admin password
Reset your Linksys router to set it back to its factory default settings
Try to upgrade your Linksys router’s firmware